The Safety For Teeth Whitening At-home Or In-office
How Can I Do If I Accidentally Swallow A Hydrogen Peroxide?

After much deliberation and debate the process of teeth whitening has been deemed both safe and effective. In fact the Hydrogen Peroxide or Carbamide Peroxide as bleaching whitener whether whiten teeth at-home or professional in-office. Those utilizing a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide or 10% Carbamide Peroxide whitener can be considered to be safe by FDA, and the FDA has approved 3% solutions of Hydrogen Peroxide for use as a mouthwash. Studies evaluating 10% Carbamide Peroxide or 3% Hydrogen Peroxide have found minimal or no effect on the microhardness or mineral content of tooth enamel surfaces.

Not Caused Any Cancer

Studies have indicated that Carbamide Peroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide chemicals generated in the whitening process aren't carcinogens in the mouth, has not caused any cancer in gums or mouth tissue.

The Safety For Teeth Bleaching At-home Or In-office. How Can I Do If I Accidentally Swallow A Hydrogen Peroxide?

Not Damage The Nerve Endings

Patients with another issue of concern is whether teeth whitening would damage nerve endings. Studies have indicated that there is little evidence of any damage done to the nerve endings who has a 5 to 8 years checkup after teeth whitening.

Can Reduce The Hardness Of Tooth Enamel

Studies have indicated that Carbamide Peroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide indeed can reduce the hardness of tooth enamel. However medical experts have countered that fruit drinks and soft drinks actually cause more damage to tooth enamel than teeth whitening bleach.

Can Cause Sensitivity To Your Teeth Or Gums

The most commonly side effects to Hydrogen Peroxide or Carbamide Peroxide are tooth sensitivity and occasional irritation of the soft tissues in the oral mucosa, particularly the gums. In most cases, sensitivity results from an ill-fitting tray rather than the tooth-bleaching agents. The sensitivity is temporary and stop after teeth whitening treatment.

Restrictions

Age Younger Than 16 :

At this age the teeth are still developing and the nerves are enlarged. Teeth whitening may cause irritation of the pulp chamber of the tooth or make it more sensitive.

Pregnant Or Lactating Women :

Although there are no known specific side effects, manufacturers recommend not to bleach while pregnant or nursing as a measure.

Gum Disease :

People who have gum disease or teeth with worn enamel are usually discouraged.

Cavities

should be treated before undergoing any teeth bleaching procedure.

Bottom Line

As long as you use the teeth whitening treatments properly and follow your dentist's instructions, for the vast majority of people, teeth bleaching is a perfectly safe and harmless beauty treatment that almost anyone can afford. However, be sure to read all safety labels and do not ingest or swallow your tooth whitening products.

How Can I Do If I Accidentally Swallow A Hydrogen Peroxide?

Hydrogen Peroxide is a bleaching agent and it is the key ingredient in most of the home teeth whitening kits that are available on the market today. When Hydrogen Peroxide decomposes it releases the free radicals, it is these highly reactive molecules that then break down the colored compounds that have cause a tooth's staining. The Hydrogen Peroxide that we can buy from over-the-counter is usually only 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and 97% water, It breaks down quickly when exposed to light so it generally comes in brown bottles that filter out the sun's rays.

The Safety For Teeth Bleaching At-home Or In-office. How Can I Do If I Accidentally Swallow A Hydrogen Peroxide?

In general, the concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide be used by teeth whitening is 3%. If you just swallow a little of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, this will probably not harm you. Give several glasses of water to drink to dilute. After swallowing Hydrogen Peroxide, you will expect irritation, nausea and headaches. However, these are all temporary and should go away soon.

But, if you swallow a large amounts of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, or you have beginning to experience irritation and blistering to the mouth, throat, and abdomen, even abdominal pain, vomiting, or diarrhea, you must go to see your doctor and get medical advice.